Genitourinary Cancer Unit, IOB Institute of Oncology
Head of the Genitourinary Cancer Unit, Institute of Oncology of Catalonia
Associate Professor of Clinical Oncology, University of Barcelona
• He has published more than 100 research articles on genitourinary cancer in prestigious international scientific journals. He has been a principal investigator in several clinical trials and transnational research projects. He has played a key role in the development of new molecular agents targeted against kidney cancer, such as sunitinib and everolimus, which have revolutionised the treatment of this disease.
• He has participated in multiple projects in testicular cancer and in research for new medicines for advanced prostate cancers. He is also one of the investigators who began working on the development of treatment strategies for the preservation of the bladder in selected patients as an alternative to radical surgery.
• He is working intensively to develop a new approach in the treatment of kidney and bladder cancer with immunotherapy. He has worked in clinical studies that have led to the approval of nivolumab in renal cancer and also in the development of atezolizumab and nivolumab in bladder cancer. All have shown very impressive results. He works together with state-of-the-art research laboratories, especially in renal cancer. He focuses on finding predictive molecular markers that allow a better selection of the treatments that are going to be administered and in identifying and developing new specific treatments.
• He completed his degree in medicine at the University of Barcelona (UB), with a mark of excellent. He completed his specialisation in Medical Oncology at the San Carlos Clinical Hospital in Madrid. He obtained a Doctorate in Research, PhD, “Cum laude” at the University of Barcelona (UB) with the doctoral thesis “Molecular factors of prognosis in bladder cancer”.
• He is currently president of the Spanish Group of Germinal Cell Cancer that is devoted to studying and researching testicular cancer. He has been a member of the Board and responsible for the Renal Cancer Area of the SOGUG (Genitourism Group of Spanish Oncology).
• He is an active member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and of the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO).