Gastrointestinal Tumour Unit, IOB Institute of Oncology
Medical Assistant, Gastrointestinal Tumour Unit, Vall d’Hebrón Hospital
Clinical Investigator, Gastrointestinal Tumour Programme, Vall d’Hebrón Institute of Oncology
• She is a prominent member of the group of gastrointestinal tumours led by Dr. Josep Tabernero, President of the European Society of Medical Oncology, ESMO, 2018-2019, who serves as president-elect in 2016.
• In the healthcare area, she is characterised by her closeness and ability to empathise with patients. Within the team of gastrointestinal tumours, she is responsible for patients with biliopancreatic tumours.
• As an investigator, she has participated in numerous studies that have led to the development of new molecules in colon cancer. For example, the PRIME study allowed the approval of panitumumab (anti-EGFR) in the first line of treatment of colon cancer, the VELOUR study allowed the approval of aflibercept in combination with chemotherapy in the second-line treatment of colon cancer.
• Furthermore, she is responsible for the development of new molecules in biliopancreatic cancer, having participated as investigator in the MPACT study, which allowed the approval of gemcitabine and nab-paclitaxel in pancreatic cancer, and in the NAPOLI study that has proven the power of a new medicine in pancreatic cancer after progression to gemcitabine, nal-IRI in combination with 5-fluorouracil.
• She is involved as principal investigator in numerous clinical studies that may allow the approval of new medicines in this area in the coming years. As investigator, she leads personalised medicine studies, both in pancreatic cancer and in tumours of the bile duct, performing molecular studies that allow selecting for each patient, that treatment with greater chances of success.
• She has 49 publications in prestigious journals such as Lancet, Annals of Oncology, Clinical Cancer Research, etc.
• She is an active member of the Spanish, European and American oncology society (SEOM, ESMO and ASCO).
• She was born in Barcelona in 1974, and she graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the Autonomous University of Barcelona in 1998. She carried out her specialisation in the Medical Oncology Department of the Sant Pau University Hospital in Barcelona (2000-2004). At present, and since 2004, she has been attached to the Medical Oncology Department of the Vall d’Hebrón University Hospital and the Baselga Oncology Institute in Barcelona, as part of the digestive tumour team. She has completed a research stage at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, in the area of digestive tumours.