30 Mar Dr. Francesc Graus
Dr. Francesc Graus
The area of research of Dr. Graus has been the paraneoplastic neurological syndromes. He led the panel of experts that defined for the first time strict criteria for their diagnosis.
His research has been important for the confirmation of the immune hypothesis that the underlying tumor triggers and autoimmune attack to the nervous system causing the neurological dysfunction. The antibodies he has identified are now widely used for the diagnosis of these syndromes.
His clinical expertise includes the diagnosis and management of gliomas and primary brain lymphomas, and the neurotoxicites derived from cancer treatment. In the last years he has been interested in the neurological complications related to the treatment with immune checkpoint inhibitors or with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Head of the Neurooncolgy Unit at the IOB.
- coordinator the neuroimmunology program of the Institut d’Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS) affiliated to the Hospital Clinic.
- MD degree in 1976 at the Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona.
- PhD in 1982 at the Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona.
- residency of Neurology in Barcelona and the fellowship in Neuro-Oncology at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Nueva York, USA.
- Presently Emeritus investigator of IDIBAPS.
- Founder and past president of the European Association of Neuro-Oncology (EANO)
- Title of Doctor Honoris Causa for the Lyon University.
- Chief of the neurology service of the Hospital Clinic, Barcelona until 2018
- Coordinator the neuroimmunology program of the Institut d’Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS) affiliated to the Hospital Clinic.